Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Duke of NY.

Islands of good in a sea of bad.

Good:

- My Matte Stephens 'The Duke of NY' fox print with the bizarre smoke came in the mail today! Thanks Grandma, it is awesome. I opened the door timidly wearing nothing but my Hoopers kimono and prayed to God that the man behind the voice, behind the door wouldn't be a psycho killer. The kind of killer who lures half dressed women out of their apartments by calling out, "Mail, Miss Kroeker!" or by playing a tape recording of a baby crying. I would SO fall for that. Anyway, it was only the mailman and we chilled for a bit and I talked about how awesome this Matte Stephen dude's art is. I think the mailman was pretty excited to carry on. Whatever.

- I got a new job at my old job. Come January I will be the soup lady. A soup cook, I am really psyched about it. After yesterday's melt down marathon, this is really good news at a really opportune time. Monday to Friday I will be in the kitchen, making my own hours, cleaning and chopping and stirring making soup for the nations. Well, for the Jews and the elderly Mennonite at least. Again, I am pretty excited to have weekends to spend in the Exchange making stuff beside the big windows that look down on Albert Street.

- Four days ago, I received keys to my first studio space in a building on Albert Street. Sula and I are sharing and I am really looking forward to the things that are going to go on in that room because of we will be working in such small quarters together. Magic, that's what's going to happen. If my art sucks I will just baby a tonne of plants along the sill. My art sucks. But my new print is lovely!

- Today, a draft for the final project at Martha street is due. 'City' is the theme and as broad as that is I am having a hard time coming up with something original to print keeping in mind we are only to use a four color registration and the stock sheet is 5X7. Yikes.

Bad:

- I didn't get to hang out with my friend Kelly's newborn, Madeline. Two more days, two more days. Nothing trumps holding a newborn. EVER. EVER. EVER. On that note, Laura, the Babies are Beautiful pin you sent to me is worn on my ex love's messenger bag with serious pride. Welcome back to this frivolous side of the blogosphere. Your presence and opinion were deeply missed.

- I am still poor as piss, but optimistic!


Okay, that is enough. I am off to the library to do some research on these potential topics for inspiration: Storks, bowties, fruit stands and mailmen for my final print. One more thing, my class is having a kind of silly art opening party at Martha Street Studio just behind the Concert Hall to showcase our collective work as participants in this year's Youth Outreach Program kindly funded by your tax dollars. We want to say thanks by hanging up our work, untying our aprons and serving champagne and cubes of sharp cheddar and brie to whomever decides to show up. That show will be on December 16th. I am a little embarrassed about my work but some of the other people in my class made some prints worth coming out for. I will post more on this later.

Best, M.

1 comment:

cara said...

I can't wait to see your show!
I've also been looking to rent a studio space. Let me know if anything opens up in your building.
Also, I really miss your face.