Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Here we go.

Another New Year's eve and not a bathtub lover in sight. Damn straight. This year there will be no shenanigans, no reason to keep my collar flipped up and my eyes downcast for weeks on end. No reason to high tail it to Switzerland and run ten miles a day. No reason to hide away and shelf my social life. I am dressed well for tonight's dinner party and am towering with the highest of Parisian heels and the highest top bun that my hair will produce. Bon Iver on vinyl has been on repeat for the entire day and I feel ready to bring this year to a close even though my hands are not. No midnight kiss, just Rabbi's familiar lap to fall into when the hour hand strikes. It is funny, I am a different person than I was on this day one year ago, but also the same. The year ahead looks bright, productive and trying. There will be many lists to tick off in the next three months with all the work that has to be done for my portfolio for school and maybe that explains my hands inability to settle.

I am ready to go. In every sense of the words. I am ready, it is time.

Loco just called me, which is suitable considering that I called her at exactly midnight last year, in a heap on Alfie's bedroom floor, drunk and messy, guilt ridden words tumbling out of my mouth at an alarming rate. She took it all in with grace from her comfy spot in Montreal. This year we took pictures of ourselves on our Macbooks and sent them to each other at the same time. Her in batwinged tartan and me in sparkling checkers. Two different plaids on two different girls and it was good and well.

I am not sure what I am trying to say. I am late for Barfredo's house for martinis and cheese and late for dinner but I am fine with that. All I see for this year is Martha Street, mountain biking, mountains, babes, a new school, a new town, an ocean, Loco, being elbow deep in ink, silk screening, a familiar rainbow stained apron, boxes, empty hangers, a new baby (Jill and Chris'), a new start. This too is good and well.

I am ready to go.

Happy New Year dear friends, Madge.



No comments: