Friday, September 19, 2008

You will be a star.

So many things in my head right now. New ideas sloshing against Old memories splashing up against Giant dreams bobbing beside Uncontrollable fear. A merry flood of thought.

The outcome of yesterday concluded in me being shnuddery today. I was shnuddery and schlem and maybe a bit cranghkleegh to boot. Adjectives stolen from a dialect of German spoken by my parents' great-grandparents' great-great grandparents' was the only logical diction I could use. Regular English adjectives couldn't hold a candle to the weight my feelings today.

Break.

I just came from an art opening this night, and at one point in the night, I caught myself becoming enraptured with the reflection coming off the only framed piece in the show. Acting as a mirror to the scene unfolding behind my back, I stood and became engrossed not with the painting itself, but with the scene reflecting off of it's protective glass. I wonder how many people--art show attendees more specifically--experience what I just did: standing in a room, mouth agape, battling internally as to which standing position is more appropriate by gallery standards, and not seeing art for art in spite of it's position dead ahead of you. As lackluster as all that jazz is (and I don't doubt that majority of people feel insecure at art shows), watching a roomful of people doing the same exact thing behind you is so worth the art show angst.

I had to get out of the house. So I left, had the hilarious epiphany in the painting's reflection, left, rode home and some sweaty Elton fan cat called me on Portage. What a night. At one point in the evening this girl (I think her name was Sam, maybe), told me that Elton wore a floor-length floral tuxedo with golden platform shoes for the ENTIRE night without a single outfit change. "The crowd was better dressed than Elton!" she exclaimed with exasperation. Only in Winnipeg. I was huffing too loud from the crisp bike ride to add in a delightful Elton quip. So be it. I rode home and fell into the chair at the foot of my computer and dove into a McCain cake from the freezer. Sorry Janique, I couldn't resist for the life of me.

My friend Luke took these pictures of Ruth and I. I like them quite a bit. And I like Luke quite a bit. Thanks Luke, that was thoughtful.



3 comments:

J. said...

the don! recognizable anywhere. no worries about the cake my love, it wasn't the right one anyways.

let's get this lost in translation night happening.
true love and nothing else,
xox

Dick said...

at art openings i generally like to double fist... it solves the dilemma of "where do i put my hands?!"

tiffany said...

i like his body language with you on the phone.