Friday, September 5, 2008

New York, New York; Winnipeg, Winnipeg.

"Hi Richard, do you miss New York right now?"
"Yes, I do"
"Do you want to come over? We have found a little piece of New York within city limits. Come, now. We are listening to records. Bring some jazz, okay?"
"Cool, but I can't. I would love to, but I can't. I am stranded in the suburbs"
"Oh no"
"Oh yes"

Sorry to have missed you Richard. I am glad you came home from the city that never sleeps a wink, even if it is home that brings you down. We missed you. One of my bff's is housesitting a studio space turned scrappy apartment in the Bates building right now. We sat in low slung chairs draped in things with the windows open and smoked Camels as the cold air poured in along with the neighbor lady who just got back from Burningman in Nevada and was still starry eyed from all the wild things she saw. So starry eyed in fact, she didn't even notice us slipping her American cigarettes in our mouths and our necks ducking down to light them with a match. We sat and talked about our childhoods and memories of swimming in grain trucks and being casual about tae kwon do classes on Wednesday evenings. Time was so different then than it is now. Funny how the pace of life works.

Anyway, Leonard Cohen sang 'oooooh Mary Anne' and I rocked back and forth to the melody thinking the fast encroaching Autumn season is nice. We are officially on the slippery seasonal slope and I am going with gravity. Headlong.

Winnipeg may be no New York, but it has it's moments.





4 comments:

my name is jill said...

oh, erin wasson, and her perfect space, and her perfect wardrobe, and her perfect legs...

J. said...

ilove you. last night was perfect, it was overwhelming beauty. oh god, how we laughed.

Dick said...

tuxedo is SO not the suburbs, i would never say such a thing

still, sad to have missed you...

eja_crepusculario said...

Hey you.

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. It warmed my soul right back and made a slow grin creep across my face and stay.

We should go to New York. Or Paris.
And live in a dream.