Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Jessica 'Don't Call me Latino' Alba.

She's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere! Jessica Alba weighing in at 19 pounds, 11 ounces is my new whip, ride, pride and joy, love, piece of furniture, work of art, conversation piece, confidante, extension of body, friend, crush, dream, speed demon, bicycle. Swoon, sigh (in this case, a good exhalation). You know that back wheel I referenced a few posts back? Yeah, it is pictured at long last. I have a good feeling about you and I, Jessica Alba.

Wait, I must give credit where credit is due. My friend Korakan spent many moons searching for parts, explaining the mechanics behind the fixed gear, defining bicycle definitions, answering scoff-worthy questions, teaching me to build and true a wheel, rethreading the bottom bracket at the shop, taking it all apart, putting it all together, tuning, tuning, tuning, test riding, more tuning, more truing (after I buggered it up), among a million other things I am regrettably unaware of. Above all that, he never once treated me like a dummy when I had no idea how insane it was to be in possession of an NJS approved track cog or original paint, Mavic rims, a wheelset that turns heads from miles away, a mixte lady frame, Bianchi hubs and God knows what else. Thank you is never enough. But for what it is worth, thank you Old K.

Now how on God's green earth did I come to choose the name Jessica Alba you wonder? Miele is the make of the frame. It just so happens that in Italian 'miele' translates to Honey in english. According to Richard Bars, 'alba' means White on the Botany front. Here is the messiest correlation I have made to date: Temperamental/terrible actress Jessica Alba happens to star in the film "Honey" (miele) and coincidentally has a funny aversion to her Latino roots even though she is in fact as Latino as it gets (thus the white frame and the surname usage, yada yada). Whoa, that was an unnecessary paragraph.

I don't care. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Introducing Jessica Alba, my brilliant new bicycle.













I think I am in love, finally.
Meg.

1 comment:

jj. said...

Elle est vraiment jolie! Tu est très chanceuse. Et moi, je suis jalouse ;) Je t'aime, pas pour ton vélo, mais, un peu...





je blague.
xox jj.