Monday, July 30, 2007

I am Your Man, Leonard.

Last night, the Queen of my heart opted to rally the troops in a last ditch effort at exiting the city. Four girls (including myself) sun dress clad and bejeweled jumped into Christie's tiny clown car and took off for Gimli. When we weren't mouthing the words to Hanson, we were off in a field or dancing on hay bails grabbing hold of every opportunity to embrace life and light outside of the city limits. Amy gal's gal knows that making a bazillion stops along te way to any destination is inevitable and we ended up taking a bazillion rolls of film in the fading light every time we pulled over. Chasing the tail end of the sunset, we arrived in the very quiet beach town only to stumble upon a greasy spoon called 'Europa', home to a host of terrible hard ice cream flavors and the biggest hotdogs I have ever seen! Anyway, Christie, Janelle, Nikaela and myself ended up seeing Leonard Cohen' "I am Your Man" on the beach at the film festival. There is something to be said for the softness of smoking clove cigarettes and eating ice cream in the sand, wind in the hair and Rufus in the ears. Every moment was bronzed golden and I could have stayed there forever. I thought of Erin wholly and completely and the orange lightening and sea air only added to my nostalgia. What a day. There is hardly a way to pay any homage at all (To who? Leonard? The full moon? The hotdog lady?), but I left feeling very alive and well. In the words of Leonard himself,

"Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in
Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove
Dance me to the end of love"

You should have been here Fritz.
Frances.



































4 comments:

Erin said...

i am in absolute love with every one of these pictures. i wish a thousand wishes that i could have been there. avec a mini sundress, oversized sunnies, sunflower in my face. just like gr.7. i MISS you.

Nikaela said...

i love you.

tiffany said...

more more more.

Anonymous said...

next time we are in the same place at the same time we should at least say hello to each other.