Saturday, January 3, 2009

Colors.

Saturday day.

Vegetables were chopped until eleven and then I went to a funeral in a five dollar dress and the things I felt surprised me. Nothing like a funeral to welcome reflection even if it is an unwelcome reflection. Nothing like a funeral to face the inevitable and to swallow the reality of losing loved ones. The funeral was for a man good with his hands, good with wood, was for a dad I wished I had met but never had the chance to. It made me think of losing my own Dad, my dad of the year, a man also good with wood and good with his hands. These thoughts along with the pull of gravity brought upon tears that rolled up and over the apples of my cheeks for the brother and sister who lost theirs. I feel fortunate.

I hope that someday when I pass, a roomful of people will raise their arms collectively in a toast to a full life lived like we did today for their dad. I hope my passing will be a reminder to others to do everything on one's life list, no matter what one's state of health, wealth or happiness. Just go for it. Cheers to that, Papa Don. Eight of us were all sitting around a table near the end with fingers slipped inside the handles of tiny coffee mugs and we laughed together. We didn't talk about loss or regret or grief; we talked about the joys of eight year old nieces, the brutal honesty of kids and how much it is appreciated, the importance of good teachers, babies, buying cashmere even when you can't afford it and it felt nice.

After I was dropped at home, I changed and redressed for winter and walked to the art store in my 'hood. I wandered the aisles for about half an hour, salivating, and felt like a kid in a candy shoppe. It was fantastic. When it was all said and done I managed to drop a hefty chunk of scrilla on a bunch of supplies. You can never have too many black Fineliner pens, I say. You can quote me on that jazz. Delighted face. This was without a doubt the most delightful Christmas gift I have ever received.

On my kitchen table right now, sigh:

1 chartreuse all weather Field Book
3 sharpies
2 Copic aluminum Multiliners
2 Uniball Deluxe finetips
2 spare 0.3 nibs
1 can spray adhesive
6 HB Staedtler pencils
1 wooden sharpener
1 exacto knife
2 Staedtler erasers
1 Faber-Castell 0.1 pigment pen
1 H.J series 10/0 paintbrush
1 can India ink
1 baby Moleskine
12 Staedtler rainbow fineliners
1 glue stick
1 roll of tape
1 tracing pad
1 11x14 bleedproof pad of paper
2 pads of giant newsprint


Good day, I have two solid hours of drawing ahead of me.
Oh, and for those who care Bon Iver is still on repeat, day four.

Shit yeah.
Artist unknown; I love that piece and wish I had done it.

1 comment:

natalie said...

I can't wait to see! I am always looking for moleskin exchange friends, if you're ever interested.