Sunday, August 10, 2008

Waters divided.

During the aforementioned bout of insomnia the other night, I moved my armchair (stolen from the community laundry room of my apartment) from the living room into my bedroom in a state of restlessness. In all the commotion I cursed that seven hour nap and that cup of coffee at nine that evening. I was a bit reluctant about the unconventional change in layout at first. The hole in the living room where the chair used to sit made me jumpy for the first ten minutes but eventually I got over it and nestled into the familiarity of the chair and proceeded to draw until the sun rose.

It is funny what rearranging the furniture can do, can trigger. For that whole night and the entire next day, all I could think about was drawing. Black ink dividing paper-thin vellum like Moses and the Israelites at the parting of the Red Sea. I approached my drawing pad exercising caution, timidity and a lot of faith. It's nice to be back in the game, finally safe on the opposite banks of that river of doubt.

Today Joshua Judges Ruth and I popped into the antique shop underneath the Johnston Terminal after greasy Sunday breakfast eats. It was a little too uppity for my taste, but I still scoured the place with him in tow. I found a few gems and articles worth cooing over and Josh made a comment in regards to my shopping tactics near the end of the hunt. He said my hands were a dead give away to my entertaining kinesthetic approach. Always touching, lifting, rubbing fabrics, picking, wiping, brushing, holding, speeding, shaking different treasures in curiosity. I was a bit embarrassed at how hilarious he found it, but in retrospect I gave the five senses a lot more thought than I would have had he not said anything in the first place.

If for some reason I was forced to change the form of my gait, theoretically speaking, and was coerced into picking a single body part to lead with in lieu of the chest or feet, I would choose my hands, outstretched. I have no doubt that the curiosity of my hands will always result in forward motion. This is good. Forward motion is always good.

Frances.

1 comment:

J. said...

meg my darling. ivorytranslation.
that's me. i am leaving my words in your hands only.