Friday, November 16, 2007

Heart on my head like an African.

Oh, halllo.

I am currently roosting as heavily as a mama hen in Zurich. My hur, straightenerless, is a wild frenzy of flips and kinks and thankfully the ever-friendly and consistantly plump villagers of Basserdorf are none the wiser. For the past three/four days, I have been sleeping under crisp Ikea sheets and clean bedding a la Jon and Michelle's. Their kids, Tristan (5) and Madi (7) and I have been holding down the fort nightly with mad photoshoots. I have been channeling my inner Spiderman, black/good knight and evil witch fairly thouroughly and I am sure the pictures will be proof enough to any of you Doubting Thomas' out there. Apparently, Scooby Doo is a family favorite and I learnt fairly quickly that it is a MAJOR faux pas to put the Playmobile baby incubator in the RECEPTION area of the Playmobile hospital. Kids are ridiculous and more anal than me in a dirty kitchen. I think Michelle thinks me crazy for the obvious joy and cooing that comes from that direction post dinner.

Even today, elbows deep in dish detergent (even THAT has become a luxory), I sighed in utter contentment over the luxory of retrospect. I had no idea I was so in love with the kitchen and all it represents until this trip. I guess I am officially in the final stretch of my trip. The same thing came over me in Thailand when I hit the three week mark until departure. The littlest memories and the most mundayne activities of life creep out and present themselves, covered in dust and you can't help but laugh aloud at what you begin to miss with severity. The other day in a spurt of back-and-forth correspondance between Auntie Marj and I, I advised her to appreciate her sisters, kitchen, tub and bed with a vengeance for me--if only for a day--just because those are the things I miss most.

Here is a list, just because I feel like it. I miss.........
-Fritz to the moon and back
-my tub
-my Mum
-Grandma's brown bread
-Tigre tigre icecream
-Bubble tea
-Nikaela's apartment that I have yet to see
-Bar Italia with Amelia
-Driving with Yosh
-making dinner with James
-the smell of my dad
-Rab and Kit
-Mike in my house
-me in Mike's house
-Reimer gatherings
-Joel's baby
-Kaleb
-Vietnamese BBQ at James and Christine's
-Good Form
-Drewber
-Tristan and Sam
-Stranglor
-Alfie and I biking
-JJ
-painting
-Christie
-cleaning my apartment
-my plants
-my closet
-Margret surprisingly (Yosh)
-Good books
-the Globe Theater
-going for dinner: Fude, Billabong, BI, Kenko etc.
-Shmondefat
-Plotditch
-Erin
-my kitchen
-Auntie Daryl's kitchen table
-Christmas eve
-Easter
-good coffee from Prague
-Pear and F/Q visits
-my record player
-Yosh's record colletion
-my bedding
-Gbus at Bread
-breakfast at Stella's
-spring
-dancing
-dinner parties

Okay, I am beginning to lose interest. Those are all just things, it is the PEOPLE I miss the most. Truth be told, I didn't really anticipate missing my family as much. Not only my family-family, but my extended family. Jon is watching hockey, Buffalow and Ottawa and I am thinking of the Cal, legs extended, reaking of sawdust and goodness. It is almost time to come home, but not until I hit up Italy so hard they will be wishing they were not the pasta capital of the universe. Gnocchi, rissoto, ravioli, fuscili here I COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME.

This blog is SO stupid but I don't care. I am wearing Erin's TEXAS shirt that is so paper thin from over-use, love and dirty sheets my mum would have long burnt it in the barrels behind our house if she was within arms reach. Too bad mum, I am in Switzerland. Sometimes when I think too much about facing reality again I inch dangerously close to death from sheer excitement. Erin, Erin, Erin, Erin. Mooniaki Shittake, I commissioned Madi TWO SWISS Francs for her to braid you a new indian headband (this time in purple).

Tomorrow I will be reunited in Geneva with my baby birds, Kit and the Rabbi after a mini-week hiatus spent here in the quaint village of Basserdorf. The town of taupe, and tomato red trim, shutters and snowcapped evergreens, boulangeries and post offices salt and peppering the cobblestone sidewalks. Everyone smiles here, even in IKEA. I had to walk painfully slow in IKEA to be sure to head bob in return to every rosy cheeked Tom, Dick and Harry that past. I shocked myself. SLOW in IKEA, the rapture might as well have come and gone... THAT was new for me.

A times, they are a ch-ch-ch-changin' and I am being seasoned like a christmas ham with the taste of travel. This blog blows, I am going to take a bath (my first one in a month and a bit!!!!!) WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

To Geneva, to Geneva,
Best, Madgeburg.

3 comments:

Erin said...

i.miss.US. shiiiiiiiza.
our "i miss" list is pretty much the same...with the exception of frances in place of fritz.
1 month today. and we will be siamese once more.
love love LOVEEEEEEEE you sister deer.

fritz.

Unknown said...

We hadn't even taken 4 steps after waving goodbye to you at the train window and Tristan's lower lip was already quivering! Pretty soon both kids were in tears.

You would certainly win 1st prize in our 'Easiest Visitor Ever' competition... I can't think of any other guest we've had whose motto was "Why don't you guys go explore the city while I watch your kids and cleanup your kitchen?!"

Thanks for taking the time to come and see us!

Jon (& family)

Nikaela said...

Mountains of affection lost one. The verb to miss becomes less and less satisfactory. I love you for knowing you wanted this trip. And I love you for seeing its end.

I can't wait for you.

Yes to breakfast in Rosenort!
my heart,

xxxxxxxxxx

PS. Your brother is a sweetheart.
Sent him on his way.